Lesson Planning of Use of Colon Subject English Grade V

 

Lesson Planning of Use of Colon

Subject English

Grade V

Students` Learning Outcomes

  • Recognize the function of colon and use it before a series of items.

Information for Teachers

  • The colon (: ) is used at the beginning of a list. The phrase before the colon can stand alone. After a colon the pause should be a little longer than period/full stop, as;

  1. There are four seasons: summer, autumn/fall, winter and spring.

  • While teaching the lesson, consult the textbook at all steps wherein and whenever it is applicable.

Material / Resources

Writing board, chalk/marker, things in classroom / surroundings, chart paper, textbook, duster

Introduction

  • Hold any three objects in your hand (e.g. pencil, sharpener and eraser) and tell the students about them. Make sure that you give a pause, as;

  1. I have three things in my hand: a pencil, a sharpener and an eraser.

  • Then write this sentence on the writing board.
  • Ask some students to come forward and bring three or four things with them. Ask them to repeat what you did before them. Tell them the pause is important.
  • Highlight the use of colon in the end.

Development


Activity 1

  • Ask the students to think of the list/words to come after colon in each sentence. Use colon at the right place, as;

  1. In the bag were the following: scissors, a hairbrush and her address book.
  2. I play four sports: hockey, football, badminton and cricket.
  3. I have 3 hobbies: I collect coins, I read, and I knit.
  4. I love healthy foods: nuts, fruits, and vegetables.
  5. You will need to finish three chores: polish your shoes, arrange your books and clean your room.
  6. The compass had four directions: north, south, east and west.
  7. The ingredients of milk shake are as follows: milk, mango, sugar and water.

 

 

Sum up/ Conclusion

  • Ask the students to explain the rule of using colon with examples.

Assessment

  • Explain the question to the students and ask to tick mark the sentences with the right use of colon.
  • Tick the right one which shows the correct use of “colon”.I love: mushroom, cheese, and omelet.

  1. I love a huge breakfast: mushrooms, cheese, and omelet.
  2. I like a new house to be all of the following: modern, spacious, airy
  3. The new house was: modern, spacious and airy.
  4. These are a few of my favorite things: kheer, Biryani and more kheer.
  5. For lunch I would like: kheer, Biryani and more kheer.
  6. My favorite fruits are: apple, banana, and grapes.
  7. These are my favorite fruits: apple, banana, and grapes.
  8. In the bag were: scissors, a hairbrush and her address book.
  9. In the bag were the following: scissors, a hairbrush and her address book.

  • Ask the students to rewrite the sentences using colon (: ).

  1. Here`s what I want you to do bring my bag, go to the shop, and bring apples.
  2. You will need the following back to school items pencils, erasers, and markers.
  3. The places I like to visit are as follows, Italy, France and Canada.
  4. I have three more phone calls:  to make my mom, my sister, and my brother.
  5. You will need to bring three things to the party: food, drink, and a gift for the hostess.
  6. The vase contains beautiful flowers: roses, tulips, and daffodils.

  • Involve the students in solving the problems given in the exercise at the end of unit/chapter.

Follow up

  • Make two sentences using colon. (different from all the examples done in the classroom)

Comments

  1. Beautiful post on learning grammar as simple sentence words written onto your blog. Thanks for sharing detailed information. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Plan of Modal Verbs Lesson Plan of Modal Verbs

THE DIRECT METHOD OF TEACHING ENGLISH & ITS AIM AND PRINCIPLE, ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES

LESSON PLAN OF CONVERSION OF EXCLAMATORY SENTENCES FROM DIRECT TO INDIRECT SPEECH Subject English Grade 10th