LESSON PLAN OF DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH (NARRATION / REPORTING) Subject English Grade 10th

 

LESSON NO. 30   DIRECT AND INDIRECT SPEECH (NARRATION / REPORTING)

Subject English

Grade 10th 

  • We often need to report messages, speeches, and comments, requests of a person or person to others.

[1] We may quote his actual words. This is called Direct Speech.

[2] We may report what he said without quoting his exact words. This is called Indirect Speech or Reported Speech.

He said to me, “I want new cloths.”       [Direct Speech]

He told me that he wanted new clothes. [Indirect Speech]

Punctuation of Direct Speech

  • The speech which is under Quotation marks or inverted commas in writing is called Direct Speech and the verb by which it is expressed is called Reporting Verb

  • It will be noticed that in changing the Direct Speech into Indirect, certain grammatical changes have been made:

(i)                 We have used the linker ‘that’ before the reported speech or indirect statement.

(ii)               The pronoun ‘I’ is changed to ‘he’.

(iii)             The verb ‘am’ is changed to ‘was’.

RULES FOR CHANGING DIRECT SPEECH INTO INDIRECT SPEECH

(i)                 We use a linker before the indirect speech:

Direct:    He said, “I am busy.”

Indirect: He said that he was busy.

N. B. The linker that is often omitted in spoken English

       (ii)      The Pronoun is changed according to sense:

                   Direct:   Aslam said, “I do not like milk in my tea.”

                   Indirect: Aslam said that he does n`t like milk in his tea.

                   Direct:   Aslam said to his friend, “You are ill.”

                   Indirect: Aslam told his friend that he was ill.

                   Direct:   Aslam said to me, “You will not play.”

                   Indirect: Aslam told me that I would not play.

                   Direct:   I said to you, “I do not believe you.”

                   Indirect: I said (that) I didn`t believe you. 

1.     Identify:

What is?

i.                    Subject    ii. Object      iii. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd forms (Persons in reported speech tenses)

2.      Change of reporting verb:

i.                    Said to ---- told ii. Said ---- said,   iii. Say to --- tell, Says to ----tells

3.      Replace “---------“in linker ‘that’.

4.      Change of Pronouns:

FORMULA

S

O

N

1st person pronoun

Subject

2nd person pronoun

Object

3rd person pronoun

No change

Example:

Reporting Speech

Reported Speech

He said to me, “I want new clothes.”

Subject

Reporting verb

Object

1st person

He

said

me

I

(iv)             First of all pronoun of reported speech changed according to the reporting speech:

Pronoun

 

1st person

2nd person

3rd person

Subjective

I, We

You

He, she, it, they

Possessive

My/ mine, our/ours

Yours

His, her, its, their

Objective

Me, us

You

Him, her, it, them

Examples:

(i)                 1st person in reported speech

Direct

Indirect

i.                    He said to me, “I want new cloth.”

He told me that he wanted new clothes.

ii.                  They said to me, “He has done your work.”

They told me that they had done my work.

(ii)               2nd person pronoun in reported speech

Direct

Indirect

i.                     I said to her, “You can`t help me”.

I told her that she could n`t help me.

(iii)             3rd person pronoun in reported speech

Direct

Indirect

i.                    I say to you, “He is honest.”

He tells you that he is honest.

ii.                  I said to me, “She is a naughty girl”.

He told me that she was a naughty girl.

iii.                He said to me, “it is a book”.

He told me that it was a book.

iv.                She said to Sherry, “They are students.”

She told Sherry that they were students.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Plan of Ascending & Descending Order

Lesson Planning of Gender in Nouns Subject English Grade V

Lesson Planning of Masculine, Feminine and Neuter Genders Subject English Grade 5th