Lesson no. 20 Verbs and Event Verbs in English

 

Lesson no.  20  Verbs and Event Verbs in English

In modern English Grammar, Finite Verbs are classified in two broad categories. They are State Verbs and Event Verbs.

Examples of State Verbs

State of Being


Verb

Sentences

Be

He is a very brave boy.

We are Pakistani and they are Chines

Remain

I remain silent in such cases

He remains dumb all along

State of Perceiving


Verb

Sentences

See

I se, you are a fool.

Hear

I hear a buzzing sounds

Feel

I feel tired. She feels ashamed of your behavior.

Smell

The rose smells sweet.

Taste

Honey tastes sweet.

State of mind & emotional state


Verb

Sentences

Love

Everybody loves his mother.

Hate

You should not hate the poor.

Like

Ayesha likes to wear white dress.

Believe

I believe that you are telling the truth.

Forget

I often forget his name.

Appear

The dog appears to be mad.

State of Relationship


Verb

Sentences

Have

I have a brother and a sister.

Own

Do you own a motor bike?

Owe

You owe your own house.

Belong

This book belongs to me.

Deserve

The brave boy deserves praise.

Examples of Event Verbs

Event Verb of single event and repeated events


Verb

Sentences

Buy

I bought an orange from the market.

 (single event)

Buy

I bought an orange from the market regularly

 (repeated  event)

Difference between State Verbs and Event Verbs

State Verbs are used only in Non- Progressive forms. But Event Verbs are used in both Progressive and Non-Progressive.

Note- Sometimes State Verbs may be used in Progressive forms, then the Verbs are changed into Event Verbs and don`t remain the State Verbs.

Examples:

He has a dog. (State Verb)

He is having his lunch. (Event Verb)

I forgot your name. (State Verb)

I am forgetting names now a day. (Event Verb)

Honey taste sweet. (State Verb)

He is tasting honey. (Event Verb)

There are some State Verbs which change their meaning when used in Progressive form.

Examples:

The boy looks (appears) like his father.

The boy is looking (becoming) more and more like his father.

You look (appear) bright today.

She is looking at (seeing) the moon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Plan of Ascending & Descending Order

Lesson Planning of Gender in Nouns Subject English Grade V

Lesson Planning of Masculine, Feminine and Neuter Genders Subject English Grade 5th